In the 80’s! I watched the then WWF now WWE. Since a company that transmits cable via microwave rooftop antenna. At that time! The weekly program came from then WOR-TV from N.J.. Every Saturday I was glued to the set. Even back then it was not so much acrobatics as has been for many years. The WWF was more a family oriented type of show. Can anyone remember the merchandise they sold on their show?
It was not until WCW began really giving (From this point on WWE) the WWE a run for its money! Then! We saw Monday night RAW! Then Smackdown then Saturday night’s main event on NBC! And then lots of PPV’s along the way.
The wrestlers would go back and fourth from one major org. To the other. Then when WCW was gone! The WWE kept up rather well with its superstars. Hulk Hogan! Who could not love that guy? But! I found that over many matches. His moves were what can only be called “Choreographed!”. He would started out like a house afire! Then fizz! Then lit back up! Then fizzed again! Eventually he always won!
Other wrestlers! “Stone cold” Steve Austin, “The rock”, Randy Savage, “Nature Boy” Rick Flair, and then some!
But after WCW went bye-bye! There went the competitiveness, the excitement among the two “Power Houses”. During that time! The storylines were not that big of a deal. Now! They are.
Even while it was known as the WWF! Each match had a time limit! Now a days! None!
Let me make this clear! I still love the wrestlers on the WWF! But! Do they have to go at it almost every night! In almost every match! Get so winded that you see them just trying to get a little breather! It is my understanding that they are Independent Contractors responsible for all expenses.
This will give you some idea: http://prowrestling.about.com/od/whatsrealwhatsfake/a/wrestlersdeaths.htm
If the industry still wants to keep them. There has to be something more as well as some extra time among traveling from town to town. And yes! Time zone to time zone.
As I said! I love watching it! But! Not at the expense of wrestlers health!
Some of you may remember! I posted an article about it.
Guess what? Here it comes again!
The thing to keep in mind is the income Vs. Outcome. This cannot be overdone.
1. Always keep track of your money! It’s yours! Why not?
2. Be responsible where it comes from! And where it goes. That means keep track of each cent & dollar you spend. There is a reason for this.
If you kept a record of where it came from and where it is going! You will find that over time. Money you did not even think you had before. This does not mean being stingy, cheapskate, tightwad whatever!
3. Work the coupons to your advantage. Example: When there is a sale! And you know it is as sale. Always use the paper, e-coupons and you savings card the grocery store has for it’s customers as well. Be aware of displays that may look like a sale but! It’s a price increase.
4. Cut the cable/satellite! Americans are now cutting the cable/ satellite because of rate increases/service. And! Why still have it! When you can go on the Internet and watch it at little to no cost?
5. Cut the landline! 67% of Americans a doing just that. Because it’s cheaper to use your cell phone that a landline.
6. Investing! A bad word if ever? There people who still believe that it’s better to either play the lottery/gamble it away. But! Think of it this way! With what the banks are paying people who leave their money in the bank. And with what banks are charging for interest. You could make four times that much if you invested in the market. YES! You do have to know what you are doing when it comes to investing. So is playing the lottery/gambling!
8. Brown bag it for a while!
9. Rent, subscribe, take-out movies! The take-out is from the library.
10. ISP’S! There are many ISP’S in cyberspace. One where you can connect to it via your toilet! I have one where it uses cell phone frequencies to connect to the Internet for $50.00 mo..
11. Consider: “Minimalists” http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140224-the-joy-of-minimalist-living. Now! This is something that everyone should think about. ,I’m a minimalist! It’s something that I did not know exist until I realized I am. Even though I do love my food, drink, wearing what I want to wear, living on my terms and such. Being a minimalist. Affords me the time I would otherwise spend on trying to figure out who gets paid first? Me? Or them?
12. Retirement! I have met people who think that “When I am fully vested I can retire and spend time with the grandkids!” Once they do. They start to find that! That Company retirement pension. Gets depleted rapidly! And they find themselves trying to find work and continue until the legal age to retire.
Planning! Is everything!
The sooner you find a job! That is when clearly should thin about setting up a retirement account. Even during the President Carter Administration! Social security was not as stable as we thought it was. Even onto today.
13. http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140718-is-getting-rich-worth-it. The reason I put this Is because as it has been said: “Money is the root of all evil”. We have heard the stories about people who won the lottery and stuff! And those who went through it like water. As you will see it is not the only game in town.
15. Consider A part time job! Now! The thing here is that. Once you start one! It can and does become addictive. Because you can get used to it and when you do decide to leave it! It’s very hard to go back to an one income. I suggest this only because if you have some things you would like to get rid of. Then this is a good way to go.
16. If you are those who were laid off because of the “Great Recession” and working at a fast food place! Let’s say that you have a marketable skill. Why not think about “Freelancing”. It means that you take what you know and make a buck out of it. When you start out you may have to make you are asking price a little lower than what the market is asking. Once you establish yourself! Slowly increase your price to what the market is.
17. Funding for school! This may seem like the “Death Sentence” for some! But! The times are changing. There is no rewind, way back machines! As I understand it! Most Federal, state funding. Asks for the person who is out of work that if they want to retool of learn another line of work. Is to find something that takes two years or less to learn. It does take time to find these things out! It will not drop out of the sky for you!
18. If you need help in paying your utilities! Look into Federal, State agencies for help. Also! These cell phone carriers do offer Government subsidized phone service. Be careful! There are cell phone companies that do offer a free used cell phone! But! They will try to ask you to pay for additional minutes as well. DON’T! Its a ploy! , You do have to meet Federal poverty guidelines to get any kind/type of help/funding.
19. http://www.medicaid.gov/index.html When it comes to eligibility ! The Federal Government has some sort of eligibility form. Do not do it! Go to the agency and apply for it there.
20. RECYCLE! I have seen people who think “You can make a lot of money recycling!” Yes! And No! Recycling does have many benefits. But! Think of the time you would need to make a lot of money recycling? Vs. Cashing in? The money you can make from recycling can go for something later on. Not the here & now! The pennies do add up!
This $15.00 a hr. Wage increase really a cure?
NO! Because these are people who are, more or less casualties of “The Great Recession”. And they have been so used to things being this one way for so long! That this one thing is the only way they truly know.
Ever since the 1980’s! We as a ,nation. Have been going through a changeover which includes job/careers! ,And Yes! That includes those who only know one thing and one thing only!
There are way too many success stories about out those who have been “Down & out” ,to successful from that. For that not to be true.
Unfortunately! The unions are still behind the times. As for unions and management is concerned! If you do not have an excellent relationship with one another! Well! There are too many stories where the unions and its members lost as well as management.
And management is not without blame either! Because of profit over employee concern. They are in this blend as well.
I myself! Was one where even in the economic change over from manufacturing to a business & service economy. Was laid off because it. I was not out of a job no more than six months then I found another job. My only concern was just getting a job then figure the rest out later.
During that time! I mailed out resume’s and responded to classified ads. And even did temp work! And Yes! I too worked at McD’s two times and too advantage of this one franchisees ESOP! And while I was there. I found another job and went to work there as well as worked at McD’s again as well on weekends.
I have said here before! That even if the fast food Industry did cave in! Even our combo meal would be higher than we would be willing to pay.
But! Why? Only go for one area of business!
When you have the whole Industry to go after?
Am I the only one getting this?